Today’s quote comes from the book: The Blessing. by Gary Smalley and John T. Trent.
A family blessing begins with meaningful touching, it continues with as spoken message of high value, a message that pictures a special future for the individual being blessed, and one that is based on an active commitment to see the blessing come to pass.
Following this definition, the authors explain the five elements of a blessing:
- Meaningful touch, such as kissing, hugging, laying of hands, etc
- Spoken message, which expresses love and acceptance
- Attaching a “high value” to the one being blessed
- Picturing a special future for the one being blessed
- An active commitment to help fulfill the blessing
Each of these elements is then further developed in a separate chapter.